Appointed: October 11, 1916
End of Watch: December 16, 1925

Policeman Frank Cook was shot to death with his own pistol shortly before midnight in his traffic box at 62d street and Woodland Avenue. A colored man he was questioning in connection with a motorcar theft is being sought. The slayer fled, taking the policeman’s pistol and during a battle on the Pennsylvania Railroad tracks near Island Road and Glenmore Avenue about fourteen blocks from the scene of the slaying, he fled again.

He was captured after a struggle a short distance away.  The dead policeman was Frank P. Cook, thirty-five years old, and 711 N. 49th street. The wounded policeman is John R. Walls, 4519 Parrish Street. Both were attached to the 65th street and Woodland Ave. Station. Officer Walls, a widower with three children, was taken to Misericordia Hospital.  His condition is not serious the bullet having entered the left side of his mouth and passing out his check. Officer Cook, a World War veteran, was engaged to marry Miss Ada Nall, 3621 Market Street and lived with his ninety-two-year-old aunt. Miss Mary Gook. Both were prostrated by his death. The prisoner, who said he was John Saffour, thirty-nine, Melon street near 35th required treatment at the Mercy Hospital as a result of the beating inflected by the police. It was Cook’s endeavor to regulate the heavy flow of traffic and question Saffour at the same time that probably cost him his life.  Lining up the traffic sign Cook stepped from his box and called to Saffour and took him inside. Saffour, in a confession to Lieutenant Belshaw, of the Murder squad said that Cook told him he answered the description of a man who stole a motorcar.  “I told him that I didn’t take the car,” Saffour said. “Then he asked me if I had a rod. I didn’t know what he meant and then he said: “A gun that’s what I mean.”

Cook had lived with his aunt since his mother died twenty-five years ago and another sister Mrs. Anna Bingham survives him, and a father, Hugh J. Cook, Jr. who is in San Francisco. Cook after serving two years in the U. S. Navy. He served overseas with the 56th infantry, 4th division. 

In July 1920 Cook while walking with his girl and Lansdowne Avenue near 71st station was accosted by three bandits and shot twice by one of them and survived. He didn’t this time.