Appointed: November 2, 1905
End of Watch: June 9, 1906


Frank Slaymaker, the policeman of the 10th and Buttonwood street station, who was shot by John Maxwell, a confessed burglar, while arresting him on the night of May 27, died at the Hahnemann Hospital at 12:30 o’clock this morning. Slaymaker had a sudden turn for the worse last evening after it was believed he was pulling through and would recover.  His father was with him when he died.  John Maxwell, the man who did the shooting and who has been a Moyamensing Prison on the charge of attempting to murder Slaymaker will now have to stand trial for murder. He will probably be given a preliminary hearing at the Central Police station to-day. When the announcement of Slaymaker’s death was made in the Eighth District, to which he was attached this morning it was received with many expressions of grief.  In fact, the entire police department feels the loss of the policeman deeply.

Plans are being made to hold the funeral of the murdered man on Sunday. It is probable the Rev. C. C. Adamson, formerly pastor of the Thirteenth Street Methodist Episcopal Church will officiate at he services.  He buried Slaymaker’s mother and married the young policeman but a year ago. Interment will be made at ‘Lower Merion Cemetery. Slaymaker was one of the most popular men on the force, though he had only been there a year and was only twenty-three years old.  He was a superb specimen of manhood and was the director of physical culture in the Eighth District. It is said Director Potter intended promoting him to a Sergeant on his recovery.

The shooting occurred at 9th and Wood street shortly after 9 o’clock, on the night of May 27. Maxwell and his companion, Mary Perry a notorious Tenderloin character, had been taken from Shong Hai Low’s restaurant on North 8th street where it is alleged both were making a disturbance. Two German sailors were in the place, it is said, when one of them accused Mary Perry of robbing him of $2.00. An altercation followed, during which Slaymaker appeared. He arrested Maxwell and the woman, who walked out of the restaurant without any scene. He marched them to the corner to ring for a wagon. As he put the key in the box. Maxwell reached in his pocket and pulled the trigger of a revolver without bringing it forth; the bullet passing through his coat and striking Slaymaker in the back and making an abrasion of the lung.  At the first shot the woman ran away. At the second report, Slaymaker reeled, blood pouring from his wounds and almost fell. But he held his prisoner, who made desperate efforts to get away. Too weak to hold the receiver of the telephone to his ear, Slaymaker managed to get Maxwell between him and the pole and then leaned against him until he sent in the call for the patrol wagon.

After delivering his message, Slaymaker fell, but he dragged his prisoner to the ground. He held his prisoner until Officer’s Quicksell and O’Conner ran up and grabbed him just as Slaymaker fainted. The death of Slaymaker recalls the killing of two other policemen who were killed in attempting to arrest prisoners.  The most interesting case was that of Robert Cascaden who shot Elmer Finley a policeman.