Appointed: January 1, 1872
End of Watch: December 26, 1902

One policeman was instantly killed and two others were severely injured in a collision between the patrol wagon of the 10th and Thompson Street police station and a west bound Columbia Avenue trolley car at 11th street. The dead officer was Edward George, aged sixty years, lived at 1953 N. Warnock Street.  The injured are Sergeant Andrew Hamilton, one of the best-known patrolman in the city, formerly Special Policeman and now acting Sergeant and Officer E. A. Brewer, the driver.  Hamilton and Brewer were taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital.  Both are severely injured but they were expected to recover. Officer Brewer struck the street on his head.  Hamilton sustained a painful injury to his hip. The patrol wagon was partially wrecked by the force of the collision and the front of the car was damaged but the motorman J. Ford 2157 Corless Street escaped unhurt. The cause of the accident is not definitely known.

Police Lieutenant Nipper has ordered Rush and Bannester his Special Officers (Detectives) to make an investigation and the Rapid Transit Company officials are also seeking information on the same subject. Coroner Dugan’s Detective McKenry was also assigned to the case when George’s death was reported at the Coroner’s office.  From the accounts given by the injured policeman the patrol wagon was proceeding North on 11th Street on its way back to the patrol house. The crew had been called out to take William Fisher of 1910 Mervine Street from 12th street and Columbia Avenue to the station house at 10th and Thompson Street for being drunk.  On the return trip the horses traveled at a lively galt. And the Sergeant Hamilton sounded the gong at frequent intervals when approaching street crossings.  He said it was rung twice just before the horses reached Columbia Avenue and if the motorman did not hear the sound, it must have been because he was so muffled up in heavy clothing that his hearing was affected. The car contained few passengers and as the way seemed it was speeding along. The patrol driver Brewer, whipped up the horses as he saw that the collision was inevitable thinking he would be able to clear the truck.  Ford shut off the current to the trolley car and applied the air brakes but he could not check the speed of his car before it struck the patrol wagon full in the right rear wheel. It careened over and the three men were thrown out. George struck the street on his head and the wagon was thrown over on his body. Hamilton and Brewer were projected a greater distance away and cleared the heavy vehicle, which was shoved along for several yards by the car before the latter came to a standstill.

A policeman, attracted by the noise, ran to the spot and immediately rang for assistance and an ambulance. George was taken to St. Joseph Hospital, with Brewer and Hamilton. It was not known until the hospital was reached that he had instantly killed. When the physicians pronounced him dead his body was removed to the home.  The horses were cut and scratched, but not seriously injured. After the motorman and conductor’s names had been ascertained the police allowed them to proceed to the barn with their cars. It will not be known weather Ford will be arrested or not until after the investigation to place the responsibility has been completed.